Saturday, September 15, 2007

Review: Weirdsville

After seeing countless acts of senseless destruction, especially later in the week, I needed a break. Fortunately, I anticipated that scenario and scheduled Weirdsville for my last movie of the festival. After a good dinner at my favorite restaurant and a few drinks to boot, I was all ready for a good Canadian stoner flick. Furthermore, I hadn't had great luck with Canadian movies this year, so I was looking for this one to pick up the slack.

Allan Moyle directed this one, and though I'd noticed when picking this movie that he had directed Pump Up The Volume, which I enjoyed back in my college days, I hadn't noticed that he hasn't really done anything else notable. But what was done was done. And I set out to enjoy the experience.

The movie centers around two stoners, Dexter (The Ideas Man played by Scott Speedman) and Royce (The Quiet and Introspective One played by Wes Bentley). They owe money to some drug dealer guy, because this is a stoner flick with a plot. However, their quest to get the cash gets sidelined when they find their friend Matilda dead of a drug overdose. They decide, of course, to bury her in the basement of the drive-in one of the guys used to work at because it's closed.


That's when things get silly. There's more drugs, little people dressed as knights kicking ass, inept Satan worshipers, a guy who gets accidentally stabbed in the top of his head with a large icicle (don't worry, he lives), and much, much more.

I liked the movie quite a bit. Yes, it's just a stoner comedy, but it never takes itself too seriously, and the leads have pretty decent comedic timing & on-screen chemistry. Who knew that Wes Bently is funny? Admittedly, the raucous crowd and the drinks probably assisted my enjoyment, so I suggest getting together a large groups of your rowdiest friends, having a few pints (except for the designated driver, of course) and heading to the theatre. My imdb rating: 7/10.

No comments: