Monday, September 10, 2007

Review: Joy Division

I scheduled Joy Division knowing full well it could be a rescreening of a crappy Joy Division doc released on DVD in 2006. But, unable to attend the screening for Control, I decided to give it a whirl. And I'm glad I did.

This documentary was excellent, offering unprecedented interviews with the remaining members of Joy Division, lead singer Ian Curtis' mistress and other key players in their history, never before released video and audio footage of the band, and a great deal of background information. We had the added bonus of a Q&A with the director, Grant Gee, and extra-special guest Joy Division bassist Peter Hook.

Much of the documentary focused on iconic lead singer Ian Curtis' life, poetry, illness, depression and subsequent suicide. Regarding that tragedy, an audience member asked Peter Hook if he fells he's had closure. "No, I haven't had closure. I don't ever want closure. I want Ian back." It's apparent, though, that the members of the band, finally opening up about those times, have come to some sort of peace. They're famous for being dodgy and avoiding any unnecessary attention. But now they speak openly and confidently about all that happened. And, they've begun once again playing the music of Joy Division live (and sound good doing it).

I'll openly admit that you might not at all be interested the film if you're not a fan of the band (and I doubt you are). But, if you are, or you enjoy a little post-punk history lesson, add this to your Netflix list when it makes it out on DVD, likely next year sometime. My (admittedly fan friendly) imdb rating: 9/10.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I'm confused... this is not the same "crappy documentary that was released on DVD in 2006"? I am looking forward to Control and I will probably throw this onto my queue, too.

mzf

Sean Sexton said...

No, definite not the same crappy documentary. This one is brand new and, according to reviews I read of the crappy on, is the exact opposite of that one.