Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Review: Sleuth

Sleuth is a remake of a movie based on the play written by Anthony Shaffer. The original Academy award winning film starred Michael Caine as Milo Tindle, and Caine returns in the updated version has Tindle's adversary, Andrew Wyke. Jude Law takes over the roll of Tindle. Kenneth Branagh took on directing responsibilities.

I haven't seen the play or the original movie, but judging from murmuring I heard among the crowd, this movie is very much different than the original. I'm not sure about the play itself. This movie tells the tale of Tindle and his battle of wits with Wyke. Tindle is having an affair with Wyke's wife, and it seems to be a well known fact. Tindle comes to ask Wyke to grant his wife an easy divorce, but Wyke decides to have a little fun instead. The fun ends with deadly consequences for Tindle... or does it?

Set I, otherwise known as Act I goes to Mr. Wyke. Mr. Wyke loses set (Act) II decidedly, and set three ends shockingly or otherwise, depending on what you thought would happen.

I enjoyed Act I enough, though I'm not really big on two-man plays shot for the movie screen. I figure if I'm going to see a two-man play, I would just as soon see the play. Nonetheless, it was entertaining enough. Act II started well enough, then drug on a bit too long. Act III, well, by the time the shocking conclusion came about, I was just glad that it did so abruptly. For have a good first half, I give my imdb rating: 6/10.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Michael Caine seems to frequently be selected to take small plays to film. Deathtrap and Noises Off both come to mind ... and I'm sure he's done others.