Saturday, October 13, 2007

Review: 3:10 To Yuma

I admit that I don't like westerns -- never have. They're dusty, full of drama I can't relate to, and the acting is just plan bad. Maybe this is a reflection on the crappy "B" westerns (in Technicolor!) that always played on the tube when I was a kid. Anyway, It's sort of a a rule, so I don't know why I went to this movie. I suppose it was because I was bored, wanted to see a movie, got indecisive, and just decided to see the highest ranked movie on imdb.com showing in Des Moines. So there's that.

3:10 to Yuma is a remake of the original produced in 1957 starring Glenn Ford, who died shortly before filming began (the remake, not the one he starred in). Russell Crowe stepped into Glenn's shoes (acting shoes, not the ones he was buried in) as Ben Wade, the worldly bad man, yet charming, but need I remind you that he's very bad, yet good with women. Ben robs and kills people for a living, which isn't the worst job you could have in the 19th century desert southwest. I mean, it pays well and all, and it beats working for "the man".

Opposite Crowe is Christian Bale, who plays the apparent wuss named Dan Evans. He owes money to someone, who would apparently rather foreclose on Dan, because he keeps doing petty little things like burning down his barn and threatening his family. But is Dan that much of a wuss? And is Ben really all bad?

Rounding out the cast are Peter Fonda, as a gritty old bounty hunter, and Ben Foster, who previously played Claire's bisexual boyfriend Russell on Six feet Under. He serves quite well as Ben Wade's creepily lethal number two.

Okay, I admit I liked the movie, even if I found one turn in the plot a little unbelievable. There's good character development, rounded off off with decent action and suspense. The child actors don't make you want to puke or anything, which is another plus. And kudos for avoiding trite, predictable, and convenient endings. My imdb rating: 8/10.

No comments: