Sunday, September 16, 2007

Lessons Learned

I learned a variety of lessons at this years festival, both from the films and the experience in general. Here's a recap of the ones I can remember in my jet lagged state:

I should take a day off to spend some more time picking my films, or arrange for therapy while I'm there. Minimally, I should mix the different types of trauma, maybe start with a blown heist, move on to a bloody war, and then after a brief stop at hopeless drug addiction, wrap things up with a terminal illness. But I know it sucks to keep on the same depressing theme. By the way, I learn this lesson every year.

Never forget your lock pick kit.

No gimmick films next year. If it actually turns out to be stupendous, I can catch it on DVD.

It's really all about the director. I knew this, but got confirmation this year.

Never, under any circumstances, kill innocent people for personal gain. Even if it seems like a good idea, it will just end with the destruction of you, your family, and of course the person you kill. And you'll probably feel bad, too.

Something will go wrong on the way to Toronto. Accept it and move on.

Someone always forgets to turn off their cell phone, no matter how many reminders the festival programmers give you.

Comments aren't questions, but people will give them during the Q&A anyway.

Further west on Bathurst, there are groovy restaurants:
  1. SAN, a Korean joint
  2. Chehoskey, a fusion restaurant just a little further west with good beer
  3. Cocoa, Tapas & Brazilian food across the street from Chehosky
  4. Terroni, Italian joint even further west

Sit downstairs at the Elgin. The sound isn't all that great in the balcony.

Keep notes on lessons you learn as you learn them. Later you might forget.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

Sounds like you missed your opportunity to be a high school career counselor. With advice like this: "start with a blown heist, move on to a bloody war, and then after a brief stop at hopeless drug addiction, wrap things up with a terminal illness" well, you're actually better than the high school career counselor that I DID have!!

(I found that sentence to be hilarious)

Sean Sexton said...

It takes a special person to laugh hard at a depression cocktail.