Monday, September 10, 2007

Review: Just Buried

Just Buried was one of my "let's roll the dice on a random Canadian flick" picks. The writer/director Chaz Thorne makes his feature directorial debut with this flick, which is a familiar sounding plot about a guy named Rollie who inherits a bankrupt funeral home. At first completely accidentally, then increasingly less so, he starts killing people to pump up the business.

The movie runs in the farcical lane for the most part, but attempts to wander into the realm of suspense flick. Some of the jokes make you laugh, others made you uncomfortable to be in the room with the filmmaker when they fell flat. The running gag with the bloody nose, for instance, just didn't play as well as I'm sure they would have hoped.

In the end, I didn't completely guess the ending, so I'll give it at least that much credit.

If I knew anything about the game of craps, I'd tie in my opening line of the review by throwing out some reference to a number that was harmless; not a winner for most, not a loser for most, just kind of there (Clint, I could use a hand here). But I don't, so I'll just throw out my imdb rating: 5/10.

No comments: