Saturday, September 13, 2008

Review: Sexykiller

I've seen a Midnight Madness movie before, but never at its proper 11:59 PM start time. A former fellow festival goer and I once had tickets, but gave them up, as the previous five movies that day had taken their toll. This time, I gutted it out and made it to the screening for Sexykiller.

Any review of this movie is bound to be affected by the crowd, so I should start there. I arrived at the theatre at about 11:35 and walked straight in. The crowd was loud, many were likely drunk, and there were at least four beach balls being bounced around the crowd, at least until one popped, drawing a loud score of boos from the raucous crowd. At one point, one guy spiked a ball accidentally into the back of another guy's head, albeit accidentally. The victim responded by turning, giving his assailant a shrugging look, and then drawing even harder than before on his bottle of Bacardi.

The director, Miguel Martí, introduced the film, partly in English and partly in Spanish. The Spanish part was then translated, more or less, by the Sexykiller herself, Macarena Gómez. Gómez is tall, slender, and appeared more or less in character. The crowd ate it up.

The film opens in a girls' locker room. I had to imagine that it was after a model runway gig, but no, it was actually just supposed to be college girls. A peeping tom dressed in Scream killer attire. He thinks he's come across a mirror; but no, it's actually another person dressed identically, who promptly cuts a gash in his arm. He runs, eventually gets winded, pleads for death, but then comes across our heroine who, after playing with his mind a little, finishes him off.

The film has pretty much about everything you could long for in a Midnight Madness film: Comedy, gore, the aforementioned girls' locker room scene, serial killing, camera interaction, revenge killing, just-for-the-heck-of-it killing, crude jokes, bad police work, classic horror movie references and zombies. I'm sure I could have lengthened that list, but you get the idea.

My only regret is that I don't know Spanish, as I'm sure some of the comedy was lost in translation. But it's still hilarious. The camera loves Gómez, and Gómez loves the camera. And the crow loved Sexykiller. My imdb rating: 8/10.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice movie I saw it too! I also saw "The appeared" great horror movie from Paco Cabezas, the writer from Sexykiller (Im sure he is the real brain behind this movie) you only have to check Marti´s former movies (two cheap copies of American Pie) to see that the jokes and the politically incorrect style is from Cabezas...

Sean Sexton said...

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out Cabezas' other stuff. So your were at TIFF? By the way, I'm originally from the QC. Odd coincidence?