Thursday, August 23, 2007

TIFF Time

Where does the time go? The 2007 film list is already on-line. I'm pumped about a few movies, curious about many. The full schedule won't be on-line until the 28th, so I don't know what I can see yet. I'm guessing that the full details will also be available then. Right now, all they give you is a title and a director, which isn't much to go on. imdb provides a little more detail on some, but the festival film guide is always much more informative.

I definitely want to see Control, directed by rock photographer Anton Corbijn. It's a biography of Ian Curtis, lead singer of Joy Division, an influential post-punk band from Manchester. They were rapidly gaining popularity of the underground sort when Ian hung himself. Bummer, eh? Anyway, he was apparently interesting enough to be the subject of a movie. It doesn't hurt that Samantha Morton plays his wife, nor that I'm a fan of the band.

Other movies caught my eye, some of which I want to see, but not necessarily all. Can you guess?
  1. Joy Division; A documentary, not sure if it's about the band, or a Nazi prostitution ring...
  2. Elizabeth: The Golden Age; Starring one of my favorite actresses, Cate Blanchett
  3. Sleuth; Directed by Kenneth Branagh and starring Jude Law and Michael Caine
  4. Run, Fat Boy, Run; Feature directorial debut from a guy most popularly known as Ross
  5. Cassandra's Dream; Woody Allen's latest
  6. Honeydripper; Directed by John Sayles (it's not about bees, Jen, I checked!)
  7. Lust, Caution; Directed by Ang Lee, who is not trying to persuade the MPAA not to slap this film with an NC-17 rating
  8. Mad Detective; Directed by Johnnie To, great action/comedy director out of Hong Kong
  9. Then She Found Me; Feature Directorial debut from Helen Hunt
  10. No Country for Old Men; Directed by Joel and Ethan Coen and starring Tommy Lee Jones
  11. Nothing Is Private; Directed by Alan Ball of Six Feet Under fame

No comments: