Sunday, December 30, 2007

Review: I Am Legend

A friend and I had a few hours to kill early in the day while vacationing in Denver and decided to spend it in a theatre. The week before Christmas, I Am Legend seemed like the best choice, so off we went. The movie is directed by Francis Lawrence, a first-time feature director whose previous work included several popular music videos for Jennifer Lopez and Britney Spears. Had I known that fact ahead of time, I might have chosen to skip the film just on principle. But I didn't.

The movie loosely follows the plot of a 1950's sci-fi/horror book by the same name authored by Richard Matheson. It was previously performed for the screen under the title The Omega Man, starring Charlton "Cold Dead Hands" Heston. Judging from the ratings, I'd say the public likes this version a little bit better, possibly only because we Americans just can't get enough of cool special effects.

This version stars Will Smith. I don't know if the Academy has rules for qualifying for a supporting role, but if they do, no one in this movie qualifies. There is a brief, ominous and uncredited appearance by Emma Thompson at the beginning of the film. And, I'm willing to bet there were a few paid product placements, but I doubt those were credited, nor eligible for any Oscars.

The book's plot revolves around a plague that turns everyone but Robert Neville into vampire-like creatures. The film version modernizes the original, feeding on a fear I'm sure many people have regarding modern science. The film also adds a pet dog, Sam, who I suppose has enough screen time to qualify for a Doggie Oscar.

Robert is just your basic kick-ass good guy; He's smart as a whip, funny, strong, quick, etc. He's also hell bent on finding a cure for the mystery disease through good ol' medical research at his in-home lab. In between clinical trials, he "rents" DVD's, hunts wild game, goes for joy rides in a souped-up Mustang and chats up mannequins. Hey, everybody needs a little companionship now and then.

Smith does a respectable job for someone previously known as The Fresh Prince. I was somewhat amazed that I didn't get tired of him by the end of the film, seeing as how he was pretty much in every minute of every scene of the movie. It's pretty entertaining for the most part, and if you're willing to let go of a couple plot holes, you'll probably enjoy it. Just don't expect it to change your life. My imdb rating: 7/10.

No comments: